Think gift cards are a bad present? No way! The trick is to give someone a card from their favorite store, along with a note that lets them know you gave it some thought. The way you give the gift card is also important. Skip those boring envelopes and opt for one of these ideas instead.
Put It In an Odd-Sized Box
If you want to add a little mystery to your present, wrap the gift card in a weird-sized box. Add one or two items you wouldn’t expect to be in the box to further throw off the recipient. One year I gave two gift cards to someone, and wrapped up a pair of their shoes in two separate boxes along with the card. The person had a good laugh at being “fooled” when they opened the present.
Gift Card Basket
Theme gift cards also work well as part of a gift basket. Even smaller treats will be appreciated if given in a group this way. A book or movie gift card could be included with snacks or coffee items, for example. But even if you give a gift card to a department store, you could present it in a basket along with items that you think the person will use it for.
For instance, if you have someone that loves to get plants and gardening items at a retail store, include some seed packets or garden materials in a basket, along with the gift card to the store. This way the gift card becomes a supplement to the gift rather than the gift itself. If your recipient loves clothes, give your gift card along with small accessories to personalize the present.
Gift Cards Placed in Objects That Represent Where the Card Was Purchased
Another idea is to use the theme of the gift card to come up with a unique wrapping idea. For example:
- Gift cards to movie theaters can be placed in a faux popcorn box (you can get these at places like Target, Wal-mart, or even the dollar store).
- Gift cards to the hardware store can be attached to a paint brush, placed in an empty (and clean) paint can, or a small toolbox.
- Bookstore gift cards can be placed in an old book.
- If you’re buying a gift card to a coffee shop because someone really enjoys popping in for their morning cup of joe, mugs or even the cardboard coffee holders can work well for gift card wrapping.
- Craft store gift cards can be strategically placed in a skein of yarn or a sewing basket.
|Get the Creative Planner (external link)|
Use the gift card itself to be your inspiration because where you purchase the card depends on your recipient. Think of your recipient first then and ideas for how to present the gift card will be easier to come by.