Some people love Black Friday. They can’t wait to get up at the crack of dawn (or earlier) and storm a store in order to find deals. Hey, I’m frugal, but I absolutely do not go to the store the Friday after Thanksgiving. We have a couple people in our family that work retail, and I feel so bad for them. They have to get up at something like midnight the night of Thanksgiving, just so they can make it to work on time by like 2:00 a.m.
So I don’t shop on Black Friday, but I do have a few traditions of my own. Here are some of them.
- Play games. In past years we have had company here for Thanksgiving, and even if we don’t, my family loves games. We always manage to haul out some type of board game while I spend hours kicking their butts enjoying the time we’re spending together.
- Watch movies. Sometimes we have a movie or TV marathon day. I love that.
- Cook. You’d think after making the turkey the day before I would hate to cook on Black Friday. Not so. I love to make people’s favorite foods, so when I get a request, I whip it up! It makes me happy.
- Craft. Crafting is just something I don’t get enough time to do, so sometimes I like to spend the day getting a few creative projects done.
- Writing. Well duh. This is something I do everyday. But on Black Friday, I like the knowledge that I’m toiling away on the computer while others are running each other down in the stores.
- Get ice cream. One of the local ice cream joints here serves this special type of ice cream on Black Friday, which is a mix of other leftover flavors. Maybe it’s the frugal girl in me, but I love this and usually pick up a gallon.
That’s it for me. What are you doing on Black Friday?