Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the entire year. I love what it represents: a great meal with family, thankfulness, faith, and football. There is something about this holiday that just inspires good feelings. This year my husband convinced me to get an even bigger turkey. (He’s a sucker for those leftovers.) So I’ll have to get up a little early to get everything in the oven.
Like many families, we have some Thanksgiving traditions. They involve church, watching the parade, watching football, playing games, making my grandmother’s cranberry recipe, serving dinner on these crazy turkey plates you see above, and just having a really great meal.
Some things I’m thankful for this year:
- My family: my cousins, aunts, mom, and wonderful husband. Family is very important to me, and I cherish the one I’ve been given. We are not perfect, but we learn from and love each other.
- My birth sister: I met her a year and a half ago and we became instant friends. She makes me laugh and is one of the sweetest people I ever met. Our families get along so well and we always have a blast when we get together.
- Poetry: My world has been made better by the beautiful words of people like Maya Angelou and Mary Oliver.
- My creative gifts: My aunt has always encouraged me to explore the creative gifts that God has given me. I didn’t always do that, but this year more than ever before I am so thankful for them.
- The writer friends I have: They lift me up when the freelance writing world gets rough and encourage me to continue with my dreams.
- Freelance writing clients: My career has grown and I hope it continues.
- My non-writer friends: Because they just make life so much better, don’t they?
- My faith: Which is all due to God. Thank you, Lord.
- All the blessings I’ve been given that I don’t even realize: I know there are probably a million times in my life when I’ve been protected and blessed and didn’t even realize it. Sometimes I focus on the negative (the people that hurt me, the nasty things in life) but not today! I’m thankful for the blessings I have, both seen and unseen.
What are some things you’re thankful for this year?
Leave a Reply